Sunday, November 21, 2010

Sharing office space- how to make it more comfortable?

So I share my office space in my construction management trailer with an older guy (mid 50's) He seems to put up a front pretty much everyday, which sucks because I need to learn on the job. How do I get to neutral ground with this guy?? It's starting to really piss me off that he's so cold towards me...Sharing office space- how to make it more comfortable?
Give him the impression that you think he's great. People like to sound smart, they like to think others think they're smart. So, start asking him stuff.... ';how would YOU do this?'; ';how did YOU do that?'; ';What do YOU think of this?'; and just sound real interested in whatever he says back, make sure you agree with what he says (even if you really don't.) Then he'll start liking you more because not only do you care about his opinion, but you'll start working the way he works, and that's the way he likes things done. Then, after a bit of that, you can start trying to put your opinion in a bit. But make sure he really likes you first, or he could get all moody again.Sharing office space- how to make it more comfortable?
You need to prove yourself-I worked with a group of really knowledgeable, talented architects in a design/build team. I had to prove my value to gain acceptance.

No comments:

Post a Comment